[3D Printing] IEEE Approves Development of Standard to Address Requirements Related to Emerging Consumer 3D Printing Ecosystem

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Sep 28 16:06:01 UTC 2015

Don,

Thank you for updating us on this new IEEE workgroup (C3DP):

    http://standards.ieee.org/develop/wg/C3DP.html <http://standards.ieee.org/develop/wg/C3DP.html>

I have reached out to the IEEE-SA Liaison to learn more about the scope of their work and determine the feasibility and usefulness of a formal liaison relationship between the IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group and IEEE C3DP workgroup.  My hope is that the P3030 standard will be made freely available, otherwise it will be useless in the consumer space which is currently dominated by printers utilizing open source software and/or hardware.

In any case, I think we should continue developing the IPP extension white paper since it doesn't sound like P3030 will actually define any interface protocols.

I also intend to expand to include definitions of the corresponding PWG Print Job Ticket elements which will allow our job ticket to be embedded in 3MF and other XML-based 3D formats for simple web form submission of objects for printing.