[Cloud] Draft agenda/slide outline for February Cloud Printing BOF

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 17:07:09 UTC 2011

I suggest that our past discussions have been concerned with defining what
we consider cloud printing to be, its requirements, and what might be a good
solution to those requirements. Although this is a logical approach,  the
fact that we (as the PWG)  evidently have little say in actual
implementations has led at least some to suggest that the PWG withdraw from
consideration of cloud printing entirely.

Like Sarin, I also would like to see a relatively standard approach for
could printing identified, encouraging interoperability with product
differentiation in more creative areas than base protocols. With apologies
to Sarin and others that look to the PWG to provide such leadership, cloud
printing is so tied up with things outside of PWG purview that there is
little evidence that we can dictate much about implementation.

What I am suggesting is that, by understanding the various implementations
that call themselves cloud printing, and perhaps by working with those that
define these implementations, we may be able to encourage the use of PWG
semantics and even, perhaps, improve the potential for interoperability
among different implementations. Being more concise with respect to your
outline, I suggest that the subjects you have identified be discussed with
respect to as many different implementations as we can identify, not with
respect to what the best solutions are. This would then be a prelude to
actual PWG Cloud Printing activity rather than, as been suggested, a final
summary prior to dropping the subject.

I recognize that what I suggest is a major activity and not likely to be
completed in that one February session. Rather, it is an alternate approach
than the one we have been taking.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner