[Cloud] Re: [IPP] New draft of IPP Subset of CUPS Raster (IPP Raster)specification posted

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 17:16:55 UTC 2011

Hi Glen,

I respectfully disagree with your whole premise.

The PWG collaborated very successfully with Adobe
to develop PWG PDF/is - a subset and a profile of
Adobe PDF.

While PDF/1.7 later became the ISO 32000 standard,
in 2004 the PWG was delighted to collaborate with our
lead editor Rick Seeler from Adobe on PDF/is.

I see no reason to treat PWG CUPS Raster any
differently.

Names of attributes (prefixes) are probably suitable
discussion topics.

But the idea that PWG should only specify a PWG raster
format from scratch would set a bad precedent.

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Christmas through April:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Petrie, Glen <glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com>wrote:

>  I have reviewed the new proposed standard and have two concerns with
> respect to the "IPP Subset of CUPS Raster"
>

> 1.    It was my understand that a IEEE ISTO PWG Standard must not be the
> standardization of product or a specific company's implementation
>
> a.    Thus, there is a great need for a PWG IPP Image format or PWG IPP
> Raster format; however, I believe that specifying it as a subset of the
> specific open-source or vendor product is not in line with PWG standards
> practices.  This is not to say that is could not have a normative or
> informative reference to a specific open-source or vendor product but it
> should stand on its own with ties to a specific open-source or vendor
> product.  Also, it should not use attribute names or variables that are
> identified with a specific open-source or vendor product.
>
> b.    I am aware of other entities that wish to use an established format
> (i.e. CUPS Raster 2); but if PWG is going to standardize it, it should be
> PWG entity.
>
> 2.    The specific open-source or vendor product that is being discussed
> is CUPS.  So, the other concern with a standard that directly references
> CUPS is that CUPS is licensed by/under Apple and GPL.
>
> a.    I have not heard or know that Apple has provided a Letter of
> Assurance on the use by others for the use a subset of CUPS definition.
> While, I believe that Apple would provide LOA upon request.
>
> b.    On the other, if any or part of the content PWG is proposing to use
> from CUPS was/is part of CUPS that was/is under GPL before Apple’s
> ownership; then there is the question if GPL license applies.  Major print
> vendors may be at risk of either having to release their source code that is
> associated with CUPS content or even being sued by GPL proponents.
>

> Glen

believed to be clean.