[Cloud] RE: [IPP] New draft of IPP Subset of CUPS Raster (IPP Raster)specification posted

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Wed Feb 2 14:46:17 UTC 2011

It does not really clear things up for me, sorry.  I guess I still see a
PWG standard being based on an element (headers and code) of vendor
product that has origins as GPL code.

Alternatives: While I do not know of "vendor, industry or group
standard" with an acceptable job/"raster" (really, job/image (really,
job/content)) format that is similar to CUPS raster, I would suggest
something like the following.

Format: Job Ticket, <Page Overrides, Page content (image or maybe
something else) ........ n-number of pages>

Job Ticket content == JTAPI from OpenPrinting  (CPL License and
completely available to all to use without GPL "hooks" or concerns).

                                    Note JTAPI was derived to be
consistent with IPP!!!

Page overrides      == only those JTAPI elements that need individual
page override

Page content        == Byte-wise Run-Length compressed "sRGB" or other
image/color-space data format(s).  In future, this is extensible to
other data formats that could include vector, jpeg, etc

This has the same objective as CUPS raster but is based on public
standards and code elements that have free licenses.  There already
exist CPL based header file for JTAPI job elements and an approved
public standard.  The standard provides compliance for mobile, SOHO,
office and production printing domains/applications. This approach could
reduce the 1800 bytes / page overhead of CUPS Raster 2 to a few bytes if
no page override needed (the most likely use case) along with alignment
of other small details in CUPS raster.

Glen