[Cloud] Fwd: NIST cloud defs

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 20:15:57 UTC 2011

Hi Glen,

Contact info - the NIST website for Cloud Computing says:

"To learn more about NIST's cloud efforts, join the NIST cloud computing
announcement mailing list (very low volume) by sending an email to "
listproc at nist.gov" with "subscribe cloudlist" in the message body text."

(I just subscribed to this list).

The attribution needs to be to US NIST, *not* to the individual authors
of the NIST Cloud Computing definition.

For customers (especially government departments) purchasing
devices/services in the US, the NIST definition of Cloud Computing
is authoritative.

WHY are we quoting them, rather than just referencing them?

I'm strongly opposed to a PWG definition of Cloud Imaging or
Cloud Printing that diverges *at all* from the NIST definition.

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Christmas through April:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Petrie, Glen <glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com>wrote:

>  NIST is a US agency and, as so, work products are not copyrighted (I
> believe by law).  In fact their top page on cloud computing has the
> following statement.
>

> “This material is public domain although attribution to NIST is requested.
> It may be freely duplicated and translated.”
>
> So maybe we should ask a different question.   Do we want to (very) tightly
> align our definition with content from NIST?  I vote yes because it shows
> coherence/alignment/??? with existing or other organization.
>

> Note that the NIST definition and the one I propose are very high level and
> interpretation for “Imaging” is what is are address.
>

> Glen
>

> p.s. If I can find the contact information I will send a note.
>

> gwp

believed to be clean.