[Cloud] low lying fruit

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Mon Jul 11 15:53:19 UTC 2011

We have been having meetings on Cloud printing for a year now, and we have
not gotten past settling on use cases. Meanwhile, the reality has continued
to progress. One of our main concerns expressed   when we start looking at
this was not that the PWG wanted to specify the entire process, but that we
wanted to encourage those who did develop the standards to use the elements
for the PWG semantic model to specify printer characteristics and job
tickets.

I have belatedly read through the public Google interface standards and see
that they have selected a  "job ticket that can be in XPS (XML Paper
Specification <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_XML_Paper_Specification> )
or PPD (Postscript Printer Description
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_Printer_Description> ) format. In
the future, other job ticket formats may be supported."  Furthermore, "The
capabilities and defaults parameters[of the printer] can be in XPS (XML
Paper Specification
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_XML_Paper_Specification> ) or PPD
(Postscript Printer Description
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_Printer_Description> ) formats.
Additional formats may be supported in the future to describe the printer
capabilities and defaults."

I suggest that  defining a job ticket and a printer description following
the semantic model (in a new or in PPD and/or XPS format) would achieve one
of our primary purposes, would best utilize the PWG expertise, and could be
done relatively quickly.  Pete has a job ticket schema posted.
(ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/schemas/PwgPrintJobTicket_v1.129.zip ) This
would be applicable to Google Cloud Print  as well as other Cloud Imaging
approaches, including one the PWG may wish to define.

Bill Wagner

believed to be clean.