[Cloud] low lying fruit

larryupthegrove larryupthegrove at comcast.net
Mon Jul 11 16:33:09 UTC 2011

Only question I have is the licensing requirements.  Otherwise it's a format
to start with,  seems would be quick to define "required items" and
extensions.

Larry Upthegrove

Licensing (from the WIKI).  Also if you go to Microsoft to get the
documentation referenced by Google, there is a licensing step.

In order to encourage wide use of the format, Microsoft has released XPS
under a royalty-free patent license called the Community Promise for
XPS,[36][37] allowing users to create implementations of the specification
that read, write and render XPS files as long as they include a notice
within the source that technologies implemented may be encumbered by patents
held by Microsoft. Microsoft also requires that organizations "engaged in
the business of developing (i) scanners that output XPS Documents; (ii)
printers that consume XPS Documents to produce hard-copy output; or (iii)
print driver or raster image software products or components thereof that
convert XPS Documents for the purpose of producing hard-copy output, [...]
will not sue Microsoft or any of its licensees under the XML Paper
Specification or customers for infringement of any XML Paper Specification
Derived Patents (as defined below) on account of any manufacture, use, sale,
offer for sale, importation or other disposition or promotion of any XML
Paper Specification implementations." The specification itself is released
under a royalty-free copyright license, allowing its free distribution.[38]