[Cloud] RE: About PWG Print Job Ticket

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at xerox.com
Wed Nov 30 19:00:29 UTC 2011

Glen,

I believe some of the confusion comes from the differences in various
environments on what constitutes a print job.  There are many
environments that model only single document jobs.  For example this is
what is used in Windows and Google Cloud Print.  Other environment
support multi-document Jobs.  IPP  and WS-Print support multiple
document jobs.

Another source of confusion seems to be where a Print Job exists.  It is
my understanding that the Print Job does not exist until a job creation
request (e.g. CreateJob, PrintJob, PrintUri) is accepted by a Printer
and a Job is created based on the information in the job creation
request.

I would modify your single document job model slightly

                      | Print Job Status

Print Job => | Print Job Content  (by value or reference)

                      | Print Job Ticket => | Print Job Description

                                                          | Print Job
Processing

                                                          |Print
Document Processing

Where the Print Job is the job object created by the Print Service and
contains the job attributes and state

Where the Print Job Status is the set of attributes maintained by
automata for the job (e.g., JobState, ImpressionsCompleted)

Where the Print Job Content is the Document data

Where Print Job Ticket is the container element for the accepted
descriptive and processing intent

Where the Print Job Description is the Job level descriptive elements
(e.g., JobName, DocumentFormatSupplied). (your Print Job Info and Job
Content)

Where the Print Job Processing is the set of Job level processing
intents (e.g., JobPriority). (your Print Job Info)

Where the Print Document Processing is the set of attributes applied the
Print Job Content (e.g., Sides, Copies) (your Print Job Ticket).

In a single document job submission the Client supplies the Print Job
Content and optionally a Print Job Ticket in the job creation request.
The Printer copies, ignores or substitutes as appropriate when creating
the Print Job.

The multiple document job model looks like

Print Job => | Print Job Status

                      | Print Job Ticket => | Print Job Description

                      |                                  | Print Job
Processing

                      |                                  |Print Document
Processing

                      |Print Documents=> |Print Document=> | Print
Document Status

| Print Document Content  (by value or reference)

| Print Document Ticket => | Print Document Description

|Print Document Processing

Where the Print Job is the job object created by the Print Service and
contains the job attributes and state

Where the Print Job Status is the set of attributes maintained by
automata for the job (e.g., JobState, ImpressionsCompleted)

Where Print Job Ticket is the container element for the accepted
descriptive and processing intent

Where the Print Job Description is the Job level descriptive elements
(e.g., JobName, DocumentFormatSupplied). (your Print Job Info and Job
Content)

Where the Print Job Processing is the set of Job level processing
intents (e.g., JobPriority). (your Print Job Info)

Where the Print Document Processing is the set of attributes applied the
Print Document Content (e.g., Sides, Copies) (your Print Job Ticket).
(Note: These values are used unless overridden at the document level)

Where the Print Documents is the container object created by the Print
Service for the contained Document(s)

Where the Print Document is the document object created by the Print
Service and contains the document attributes and state

Where the Print Document Status is the set of attributes maintained by
automata for the Document (e.g., DocumentState, ImpressionsCompleted)

Where the Print Document Content is the Document data

Where the Print Document Description is the Job level descriptive
elements (e.g., JobName, DocumentFormatSupplied). (your Job Content)

Where the Print Document Processing is the set of attributes applied the
Print Document Content (e.g., Sides, Copies) (your Print Job Ticket).

In a multiple document job submission the Client optionally supplies a
Print Job Ticket on the job creation request.   The Print Document
Content  and optionally the Print Document Ticket are supplied in the
add document/uri request.  The Printer copies, ignores or substitutes as
appropriate when creating the Print Job or Print Document.

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com
Voice: (585) 265-8755