[Cloud] Minutes posted for today's face-to-face meeting

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 22:32:49 UTC 2011

Hi Randy,

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on accelerating
delivery of practical Cloud Imaging WG deliverables.

But I do want to caution you that the PWG has a Candidate
Standard development document lifecycle.  We've never chosen
to short-circuit it yet and (speaking now as a PWG officer) I
don't think the Steering Committee would be very happy about
doing so for a Cloud project.

So - several working drafts, a Prototype draft, actual prototype,
WG last call, PWG Last Call (that MUST span a F2F meeting),
and PWG Formal Vote - that's well over 6 months with no content
(That's about 2-3 years faster than IETF fast-track).

Just  FYI.

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Randy Turner <rturner at amalfisystems.com>wrote:

> That's similar to what I have been asked lately -- basically, how is what
> we are doing going to add value to a Cloud Print/Imaging deployment in a
> 2012/2013 timeframe.  Is the PWG adding value to existing solutions ? Are
> we benefitting end-users or vendors with this value? One more than the
> other?
>
> In the August 2011 "draft", we talk about helping interoperability,
> speeding adoption, and addressing privacy security and legal issues.
>
> Adoption doesn't seem to be a problem...current solutions are gaining
> traction at a steady pace.  Current CISPs (Cloud Imaging Service Providers)
> are not going to wait for us to solve their privacy, security, and legal
> issues -- for large enterprise, these map to regulatory requirements which
> they have to solve now (or CSPs have already addressed this).
>
> With regards to interoperability, this would definitely be of value to
> end-users -- they could buy an MFP and connect this MFP to any CISP that
> supports PWG recommendations/standards.  However, the vendor community
> seems to be leaning towards a cloud imaging business model that is
> proprietary, locking their customers into THEIR particular brand of cloud
> (i.e., the recent "dropbox" announcement by Fuji Xerox).  This is what I'm
> trying to avoid by expediting our deliverables.  It's ok for vendors to
> extend a basic model with proprietary competitive advantages, as long as we
> have something in place (as quickly as possible) on which vendors can
> provide the most common use-cases for cloud imaging that we are thinking
> about.
>
> I think our currently specified goals are too "geeky" and I think we need
> language that clearly describes (in laymans' terms) what we're offering.
>  Our current goals are expressed as "mapping of PWG Print Job Ticket
> to/from MSPS,PPD, and JDF..."  which is ok, but I think we need to provide
> end-user (or whoever our "real" customer is)  scenarios of what we're
> trying to accomplish.
>
> I received some concerned feedback when I referenced the schedule in the
> June 2011 charter -- not sure how it will be received when I mention the
> proposed new schedule.  In "tech" years, 18 months is a long time.  If we
> wait until 2013, we may find the ground has shifted out from under us.
>
> Over the next couple of weeks I will try and look at someway to "short
> circuit" the creation of an initial deliverable that we may can deliver in
> an earlier timeframe than the proposed schedule modification. The goal here
> would be to try and leverage IPP for cloud printing for the most COMMON
> use-case or scenario we envision.  The larger scope of what we're trying to
> do will encompass the full range of functionality we're trying to deliver.
>
> With NAC, none of this is a problem as I think the PWG has been very
> prescient in our need to drive NAC into imaging devices, ahead of the
> marketplace's perceived need -- they will thank us later :)

> [...]

believed to be clean.