[Cloud] Re: [IPP] Where is the Cloud Print Manager in the PWG: Cloud Model

Randy Turner rturner at amalfisystems.com
Fri Apr 6 18:03:15 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

In my experience, it is common to include elements of a model that "participate" in the model.

There will be an "element" of the model within a printer (or any other device) that interoperates with the cloud, and the reason that I think it makes sense to show it in the model is that this "element" has never existed before.

Showing just a "printer", indicates (at least to me), that there is no new functional element that needs to be added to the printer in order to realize the functionality of a cloud print service.

This may be true in some circumstances if the cloud print service used a legacy print protocol (IPP, etc.) to communicate with the printer, but I have a feeling that some cloud-specific element will be required in the printer -- at a minimum, it should probably be a "dotted-line" element in the printer.

R.

On Apr 6, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Michael Sweet wrote:

> Glen,
>
> On Apr 6, 2012, at 10:34 AM, "Petrie, Glen" <glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com> wrote:
>> single controller (Print Servcie?); from a reference model or architecture point of view it should not matter if there is such an entity providing this function.  This means your simple diagram reduces to
>>

>>                          Cloud Print Provider
>>     Client  <--->  Cloud Print Service <---> Printer
>
> I would be OK with this as long as we clarify in the terminology/model discussion that Printer can be Physical or Logical printer (like IPP/SM) and then provide an explicit example/use case where a Logical Printer acts as the interface with the Cloud Print Provider for an existing Physical Printer.  This addresses the canonical "printer proxy" configuration that is used for Google Cloud Print and other cloud printing solutions and preserves our ability to hand-wave the implementation details between the proxy/manager and physical printer.

> --
> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.