[Cloud] What we are working on

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Tue Jun 26 04:42:02 UTC 2012

Glen,

I suggest that saying that the interface was already defined was more an
indication that we have an approach, not that it is done. We indeed talked
about operations/objects that need to be define, such as the query and
response for work objects. Ira had taken a cut at some of the new operations
some time ago, but I think they certainly are subject to review and
additional documentation, if indeed we agree that they are necessary and
sufficient.

I believe we also  agreed to specify the client-cloudprintservice interface,
which we also think we have a handle on, but somehow writing it down
explicitly tends to being up other issues.

And, with regard to the “out of scope” registration/association processes, I
believe that even though we may not define these interfaces in terms of
specific operations and sequences, we do need to define them in terms of the
information needs to be exchanged. The situation, as I understand it, is
that Cloud Printing may very well be a service of some other cloud system,
in which case, registration/association/authentication for Cloud Printing
may very well be tied into the registration/association/authentication
processes that are inherent in this wider scope  cloud capability. For
example, cloud printing capability may reasonably be supplied in conjunction
with cloud computing facilities, and would use
registration/association/authentication processes already in place for those
facilities (hopefully enhanced by the printing specific information that we
identify).

We would not want to specify processes that are incompatible with such cloud
printing capabilities. However, if the working group determines that we
should also model an independent cloud printing only capability, we could
decide to specify these other interfaces for use in that case. That is up to
the working group to decide.

But for now, let’s try and document what we think we have a good handle on.
Believe me, there really is a lot more work left here than you seem to
suggest.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner