[Cloud] cloud reference diagram

Randy Turner rturner at amalfisystems.com
Wed Aug 8 15:02:29 UTC 2012

Hi Guys,

I was looking at our basic functional model of how cloud printing should work, and there are many similarities
between our cloud service, registration ,etc.  and the world of SIP VoIP.  In the world of SIP, there are SIP "proxies" and SIP user agents (or clients).

The SIP proxy is this proxy service "in the sky" (cloud) that proxies access between user-agents (VoIP phones).

SIP phones don't talk to each other in a peer-to-peer fashion, rather, they "register" with a SIP proxy, and the SIP proxy "proxies" access to these devices to the rest of the telephony world.  The proxy offers an "address space" and a way of referencing these VoIP user agents that is globally addressable, and these proxies also offer other services that can add "value" but again, they don't represent a phone endpoint themselves -- they are "proxies" for actual service endpoints.  SIP proxies have registration, feature negotiation, de-registration, and authentication, as well as management functions (MIBs, REST APIs, SOAP endpoints, etc.)

The real "concrete" print service is actually somewhere else…the cloud just provides value-added proxy services for print clients to access these services.

In the spirit of this well-understood terminology, I have created a simple pic (see attached PDF) of what I think we're really trying to accomplish.

Comments?
Randy

believed to be clean.