[Cloud] Local Discovery

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Thu Dec 20 01:49:58 UTC 2012

Hi Kelly,

I haven't seen any other responses to your message, although I am sure it is
not for lack of interest.  The  current IPP Everywhere spec requires that
printers support DNS Service Discovery (Bonjour) and WS-Discovery. The
addition of WS-Discovery was at Microsoft's request and, since most network
printers already support both, this was easily agreed to. Indeed, most of
the network printers that I am aware of have supported these discovery
protocols as well as LDAP, SLP, and SSDP for well over five years now. It is
not clear to me that manufacturers would be anxious to add yet another
discovery protocol.

Bill Wagner