[Cloud] Semantic Parsing of Capabilities: Cloud Device Description Capabilities

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Tue Jan 29 22:48:26 UTC 2013

Kelly, Thank you for sending this format specification.

To the Cloud WG, I suggest that we spend some time  next Wednesday
considering this subject. I believe that, as a group, we  concur with the
observations below relative to the use of PPDs, and with much of what is in
the introduction to the CDD document with respect to the use of PPDs and
"XPS" for capabilities and job ticket communication.  I am pleased to see
that the Google specification seeks to address scan and storage as well as
print functions. However, I think that we may be failing to communicate to
Google that, with respect to semantics, the basic  elements in the PWG
Semantic Model are common to virtually all network printers and have been
massaged over the years to address the capabilities and requirements of
imaging devices being offered in the market. The model has been around  long
enough to allow fairly consistent interpretation among different
manufacturers. To attempt to establish yet another method of capabilities
and job ticket definition that does not follow this model will likely
perpetuate the current problems of manufacturer-specific interpretations,
inadequate coverage of capabilities and conditions, and general
incompatibility.

The PWG model (and the PWG Job Ticket and Capabilities) defines the
semantics, not the protocols. I believe that the PWG would be happy to
assist in bindings of the model to protocols  other than IPP or Web
Services, should some other set of protocols appear more appropriate in some
applications. Alternatively, it would appear that we will have to cross map
the semantic model to yet another method.

Regardless, I think Google's timely attention to multifunction imaging
should encourage both the Cloud and SM working groups to get on with the
Printing subset and initiate the Cloud multifunction efforts.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner

: cloud-bounces at pwg.org [mailto:cloud-bounces at pwg.org] On Behalf Of K.D.
Lucas