[Cloud] CDD Feedback

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Tue Feb 12 19:08:20 UTC 2013

Kelly,

There was a great deal of discussion, and the consensus was that the PWG very much appreciated Google’s intent to retain compliance with the PWG Semantic Model and willingness to work with the PWG members. We understand that specifics of the transport and aspects of the format need to be compatible with other Google requirements; but we believe that the actual imaging semantics can be a proper subset of the PWG Semantic Model. As others have written, this would be beneficial to manufacturers since devices already use PWG semantics; it would be  beneficial to Google and client providers since it is fairly consistently  implemented (avoiding the need for extensive device- or manufacturer-specific handing); and it would be beneficial to the end users because a reasonable subset will provide access to the features that they would like to use.

I have attached a applicable sections of the minutes below. Some of the more significant aspects are:

·         Providing the current PWG Job Ticket and Capabilities document to Google (immediately)

·         Identify a reasonable subset of the elements in that document commensurate with our understanding of the level and requirements of the users Google is anticipating (very soon, and we would appreciate Google’s input)

·         Extend the Job Ticket from just Print service to all multifunction services (concentrating initially on  Scan  and Resource/storage services)

·         Provide a JSON/protobuf mapping/binding of PWG PJT

Please let us know if you see alternate or additional things we can do to facilitate this coordination.

I know you understand the difficulty of getting manufacturers to assign their engineers to work on public standards, but we believe that, in this case, imaging manufactures understand that it is in their best interests. There are usually problems in achieving consensus, but in this case, the work largely involves things that have already been agreed to. We have high hopes that the PWG and Google can work together effectively  on this.

 Many thanks,

Bill Wagner, Cloud WG Vice Chair

b. Q: Do we send PWG PJT to Google?