[Cloud] Proposed introduction text for Cloud Print Requirements and Model

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Mar 18 18:33:14 UTC 2013

Bill,

On 2013-03-18, at 1:50 PM, William A Wagner <wamwagner at comcast.net> wrote:
> The MFD Model and Common Semantics does not define Output Device (it should)

Hmm, it may not define it but OutputDevice is part of the SM schema, in PrintJobProcessingCapabilities and PrintJobProcessing.  But in any case...

> indicate). I would suggest that Multifunction Device (MFD), which is defined as “A hardware entity that supports one or more Imaging Services, including the System.” Be used in place of Output Device.

I have no objection.

> I also question the first sentence. I suggest:,
>
> The MFD Model and Common Semantics [PWG5108.01] defines the semantics of the interface between a Client and an Imaging  Service, including one contained in a Multifunction Device (MFD) such as a Printer. When a primary Service, acting as a Client to the service within an MFD, has network accessibly to the MFD, the existing Semantic Model interface applies. However, when the MFD is not network accessible to a primary Service, a new interface is required that allows the MFD to retrieve and update Jobs and Documents, as well as provide current status and configuration of the MFD to the Service.

This feels awkward to me. How about:

The MFD Model and Common Semantics [PWG5108.01] defines the semantics of the interface between a Client and an Imaging Service representing a Multifunction Device (MFD) such as a Printer. When the Imaging Service does not reside on the MFD, an additional interface between them is required. When the MFD is network accessible to the Imaging Service, the existing Semantic Model interface can be used with the Imaging Service acting as a Client to the MFD's Service. However, when the MFD is not network accessible to the Imaging Service, a new interface is required that allows the MFD to retrieve and update Jobs and Documents, as well as provide current status and configuration of the MFD to the Imaging Service.

> This specification defines a new printing interface between a Semantic Model MFD and a Service to support situations where the MFD is not network accessible to the Service. While the focus of this specification is on Cloud-based Services, the same interface can be used in any situation where the MFD is not network accessible to the Service, as is common in many secure and multi-homed network environments. For example, a gateway Service might use the printing interface defined by this specification to provide guest printing from an open Wi-Fi network to a secure corporate LAN.

And a few minor changes here since this is the Cloud *Print* Requirements and Model:

This specification defines a new printing interface between a Semantic Model MFD and a Print Service to support situations where the MFD is not network accessible to the Service. While the focus of this specification is on Cloud-based Print Services, the same interface can be used in any situation where the MFD is not network accessible to the Service, as is common in many secure and multi-homed network environments. For example, a gateway Print Service might use the printing interface defined by this specification to provide guest printing from an open Wi-Fi network to a MFD on a secure corporate LAN.

We can tweak the wording again when we do the multifunction version of the spec...

Thanks!

believed to be clean.