[Cloud] Minutes posted from today's conference call

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Tue Jun 4 07:29:32 UTC 2013

Hi Randy,

Although I agree that we have spent  much too much time on the Rationale, I
cannot agree that the section should be dropped. And in this case we are not
working backwards on Requirements. The requirements were outlined some time
ago and we are recently recovered from someone else's contention that they
were not necessary. Now we are spending more time on stylistic issues.
But we do have a basic format for specifications, and there are reasons for
Rationales to be in it. One is for others who have not participated in the
spec generation to understand fairly clearly what the subject being
specified is to do. The other is to keep the group generating the spec
focused on what is to be addressed and what is not. The tendency to expand
features is exceeded only by that to gloss over realities. It is a
reasonable test of a specification to look at the use cases after the basic
design is described and check if the solution addresses the use case.
Indeed, the original design has evolved a bit on the consideration of use
cases, and I suspect that there will be more changes as we continue to
consider complications in what we want to do.
I intend to 'crisp up' the use cases as was discussed at the f2f meeting,
and I expect that to be the end of it (unless we decide to change our
objectives). My own feeling is that interesting information will be lost in
this process, but hopefully it will quiet the objections and we can get on
with the rest of the spec.

Bill Wagner