[Cloud] Minutes posted from today's Cloud Imaging WG conference call

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Sat Jul 20 21:04:11 UTC 2013

Hi Randy,

1.       Since it was decided that a Cloud Imaging Service could be
associated with more than one device, we had to model a way to register a
Device service with a pre-existing Cloud Service. There seemed no advantage
in also modeling a mode where registering a device  created the Cloud
imaging service.

2.       It was maintained that a device owner may not want to register all
capabilities of a device. He may want to restrict registration to specific
services or even elements of specific services. Therefore, the model should
(and does) accommodate this.

a.       If a device owner wishes to register all parts of all services of a
device with the corresponding services of a Cloud Imaging System, all he
need do is inform the Proxy of  the local device (if the proxy handles more
than one) and the Cloud Imaging System.  The Update System Elements and
Update Service Elements operations are ones the Proxy needs to exercised
once registration is complete anyway and, if the Proxy/Device interface is
semantic model compatible (e.g. IPP), the Proxy easily obtains the
information in these operations (as well as the List Services) by existing
interface operations. I doubt that from the Owners viewpoint that it could
be simpler.

b.       If the Owner wishes to limit what Device and/or Service elements he
is registering, the registering application would list the Device and
Service elements to allow the Owner to flag what should not be made
accessible to the Cloud System.

3.       Outlining a UI is out of scope for the spec, but I could envision
something  like the following:

a.       Owner connects to the Proxy. Proxy returns identification of
devices it supports and requests   desired action. User indicates
Registration with Cloud Imaging System

b.      Proxy requests address of Cloud Imaging System and the ID of the
Devices to be registered. User provides this (plus security access info if
needed)

c.       Proxy contacts Cloud Imaging System and (if successful) returns to
User the basic characteristics of the Cloud Imaging System, including
supported Cloud Imaging Services. It also lists the Services in each of the
devices to be registered and asks that the Owner identify which device
services are to be associated with which Cloud Imaging Services. There is a
'default' choice which, in a simple case, merely associates each device
service with each corresponding Cloud Imaging Service. Alternately, the
Owner may show an A-A, B-B, D-D relation, omitting Device Services that are
not to be made accessible.

d.      Proxy then asks if there are Service elements that  are not to be
made accessible (reasonably listing typical elements for each service that
may reasonable be limited) . Owner can answer NO, or he can mark what is not
to be made accessible. He is done.

e.      Between this interchange and its communication with the device,
Proxy has all it needs to complete the registration.

4.       Indeed, we fully intend to pass the registration sequence, the
normal Proxy/Cloud Service communication, the User /Cloud Service
Communication, the access by reference operations, and various
administrative interactions to IDS for security issue consideration.

5.       I would expect the Transaction-Based Printing Extensions
(previously Paid Printing) to reflect back into the Network Printing
interface of the Semantic Model, and therefore into the Client/Service
interaction of Cloud Imaging. The User submits a Job request to the Cloud
Service. That service will need to consider the Users authorization (based
on who  they are, where they connect from, how good their credit is,
whatever) to use both the Cloud Service and the desired features of the end
device. The end device (through the Proxy) needs to report on the work done
in conjunction with the resulting job, and we will need to consider what
additional elements need to be included  in the Cloud Service/Proxy
interface. But I expect that the device does not get into authorization
beyond what is necessary to obtain local user identification  information
(e.g., PIN, biometric data, etc) and send it to the Cloud Service.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner