[Cloud] IPP SIX- Cloud Imaging Model Comparison

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Mon Mar 24 15:53:34 UTC 2014

REMINDER to ALL: Cloud Call this afternoon at  3PM ET!

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the comments. Sorry about the typos.

With respect to management capability, I guess I was confused by the "MAY"
operations listed in Table 4 for the Proxy (and I tend to get confused by
the IPP use of "Printer" and "Output Device" terms). By my understanding, an
Output Device may  or may not include a Printer Object. But it is not the
(possible) local Printer Object that is the object of  Proxy operations such
as  "Activate-Printer" and "Shutdown-Printer", which I take as management
operations. Rather these are intended to allow a proxy to control the
Infrastructure Printer? And, since the Proxy presumably  interfaces for the
"Output Device", I wonder about operations such as
"Get-Output-Device-Attributes" directed from the Proxy to the Infrastructure
Printer; is this to confirm the information in
"Update-Output-Device-Attributes" by which the Proxy has informed the
infrastructure printer of the output device attributes?

I am concerned that IPP SIX and Model differences may be more inherent than
just nomenclature differences.

On the question of monitoring/accounting, the Model does include Update of
Service Elements, which the set of which elements are included being
determined by the proxy. Service elements could include all of the service
counters. Update  Job Status could similarly provide Job progress
information. I do not understand your comment that, in the Model, the
"existence of local Imaging Systems/Services is (currently) hidden" or that
there is a question  "the details of how a Proxy tells the Cloud Imaging
System/Services which Imaging System it is representing at any given time".
All messages from the Proxy  include the unique  identification of the Local
Service relative to the message. And in registering and updating Systems, it
is intended that the values of all elements of the Local system that are to
be made known to the Cloud System are communicated.

Thanks,

Bill W.