[Cloud] IPP Scan question.

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Thu Sep 25 18:15:14 UTC 2014

Michael,

Thank you for your response.

1. I agree that Figure 3 of the MFD Scan spec definitely indicates that
there can be multiple images in one scan document; I do not see where it
indicates that there cannot be multiple documents is a job. Furthermore,
Figure 4 of that same document (with the associated text) definitely states
that, for a multi-document Job,  " Job object contains multiple Document
objects. Each Document can have a different set of processing parameters."
And further that the Scan Service semantic model may allow the End User to
specify a multi-document Job as a service output. If we have intentionally
decided to not consider multi-document jobs in IPP, that should be made
clear. I think it is to be determined if we decide to eliminate them from
the SM3. (Incidentally, I do not see a compelling Use Case for
multi-document Scan Jobs, although some may exist.)

2. I get your explanation that Get-Next-Document-Images refers to multiple
images of a document, and that "last-document" refers to the last image of a
document. But these are names are misleading. Do we use 'Images' to refer to
anything other than 'Document Images'?

I apologize for not commenting on the IPP Scan document earlier, but I think
the one document per job characteristic, despite what one might expect from
the names, should be made more clear. Also, as you suggest, the fact that
for Pull Scan,  the GetNextDocumentImages can redefine Compression Accepted
and Document Format Accepted for each image of potentially multiple images
document.
Thanks,
Bill Wagner