[IDS] updated NAP binding spec posted

Brian Smithson brian.smithson at ricoh-usa.com
Thu Aug 13 23:08:10 UTC 2009

Hi Randy,

HCD Configuration Flags is composed of some boolean attributes in the
IDS attribute doc. Look at the end of 4.1.1.4 "For additional
information, refer to HCD_Forwarding_Enabled,
HCD_Default_Password_Enabled, and HCD_PSTN_Fax_Enabled in [HCD-ATR],...".

However, there are some other inconsistencies that we should work out
during the F2F in this area:

   1. In HCD-ATR, they are single-bit attributes. In HCD-NAP, they have
      two bits, one bit for the attribute as described in HCD-ATR, and
      the second bit indicates whether the function is supported or not.
   2. If it is correct to have that second bit (and I think it is, at
      least for Forwarding and PSTN Fax), then shouldn't those
      attributes be listed in HCD-ATR as conditionally mandatory?
   3. In HCD-ATR, PSTN Fax does not appear in either the mandatory list
      or the conditionally mandatory list.
   4. In HCD-NAP, the flag is called "Administrative Password
      Configuration" and the meaning is "configured / not configured".
      However, in HCD-ATR, it is "Default Password Enabled" and the
      meaning is "no default passwords / some default passwords".

--
Regards,
Brian Smithson

Randy Turner wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> In section 4.1.1.4 of your latest doc the name of this section is "HCD
> Configuration Flags" but I can't find a reference for this attribute in
> the high-level IDS attribute doc?  Is this meant to be "HCD
> Configuration State" ?
>
> Thanks,
> Randy
>

> On Aug 12, 2009, at 5:28 PM, Brian Smithson wrote:
>
>> Joe made quite a few edits (in red) and I added a few (in blue). It is
>> here ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ids/wd/wd-ids-napsoh10-20090811.pdf with
>> change marks, and here
>> ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ids/wd/wd-ids-napsoh10-20090811_ncb.pdf
>> without.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Brian Smithson
>> PM, Security Research
>> PMP, CSM, CISSP, CISA, ISO 27000 PA
>> Advanced Imaging and Network Technologies
>> Ricoh Americas Corporation
>> (408)346-4435
>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.