[IDS] HCD_PSTN_Fax_Enabled attribute

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 18:04:03 UTC 2009

Hi Randy,

Yes - you got the threat right.

The second thread that I mentioned was, if the AAA network
service has been compromised, then a sound MFD could
be used by an attacker (with stolen credentials) to send
OTHER users document data out through PSTN Fax.

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Randy Turner<rturner at amalfisystems.com> wrote:

> So if an MFP (with PSTN fax capability) has been compromised, then someone
> could possibly re-vector confidential documents to be printed (or being
> scanned) and send these to some remote fax recipient over the PSTN fax
> feature.  Did I paraphrase the threat accurately?
>
> Thanks!!
> Randy
>

> On Aug 14, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Ira McDonald wrote:
>
>> Hi Randy,
>>
>> Not that I know of.
>>
>> In my previous experience with government agencies,
>> the primary concern about PSTN Fax was that it could be
>> used *from a compromised system or by a rogue walkup
>> user* to export documents and system configuration
>> information invisibly, i.e., w/out passing through a firewall
>> and w/out any chance of detection by smart routers
>> (ones with embedded firewalls).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> - Ira
>>
>> Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
>> Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
>> Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
>> email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
>> winter:
>>  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
>>  734-944-0094
>> summer:
>>  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
>>  906-494-2434
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Randy Turner<rturner at amalfisystems.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are there any documents on the internet that you guys know about that
>>> describe existing attack vectors on PSTN/Analog Fax lines?
>>>
>>> Randy

> --
> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.