[IDS] Question on Athen, Author Righs

Randy Turner rturner at amalfisystems.com
Wed Apr 14 12:40:11 UTC 2010

Hi Glen,

You can also have "rights" to access a device, not only a document -- you can have "rights" or "privileges" to access any "resource"

Authorize is the "verb" and a right or privilege is a "noun"  -- so the way I think about it, "Authorization" is a process whereby a "right" is determined for a particular identity.

Randy

On Apr 13, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Petrie, Glen wrote:

> All,
>
> In the face-to-face meeting there was a discussion about the following three areas
>
> Authentication
> Authorization
> Rights
>
> During the discussion, it was stated that Authorization and Rights are the same thing.  I thought the terms  had slightly different meaning; more precisely different meaning depending on context;  that is,
>

> Authentication refers to “are you who you say you are”.  Applies to users mostly but also applies to devices.
>
> Authorization refers to “you are allowed to do and/or use this equipment and these capabilities, etc.   Applies to a user in reference to a device.
> --- User A is authorized to print on printer A, in color, Monday-to-Friday.
>
> Rights, more specifically, Digital Rights refers to “you are allowed to do and/or use this content (document) and how.  Applies to a user in reference to a document.
> --- User A has the rights to view this document only.
>
> Are these broad distinctions basically correct; so that Authorization should not be construed to be Rights.
>

> Glen
>

> --

believed to be clean.