[IDS] I-D Action: draft-golovinsky-cloud-services-log-format-01.txt

Randy Turner rturner at amalfisystems.com
Tue Jan 31 01:11:11 UTC 2012

Yeah, the bulk of the text is trying to add specific information elements to derive the source entity generating the log message (mapped to any possible combination of cloud service model, SaaS, PaaS, etc.), and identifying any individual entity to which a log message should ultimately identified with (if any).

If we're planning on any "fixed" syntax portion of a log message (that means any pre-defined message header information that is always present in a log message), we may want to include an optional "cloud" information element that is a container for any and all information elements that will be finalized by IETF activity in this area.

R.

On Jan 30, 2012, at 3:12 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:

> Randy,
>
> Thanks, I finally got a chance to look at this.
>
> The transit stuff is interesting and might be worth adopting in some form for our Common Log Format spec. Most everything else aligns pretty well with our current spec (some different names but the same content) but the focus seems to be more on tagging messages so they can be collated rather than interpreting the messages themselves.
>
> One troubling omission is a discussion of the message length limit, which could easily be reached if all of the proposed parameters were included...
>

> On Jan 10, 2012, at 12:19 PM, Randy Turner wrote:
>

>> Interesting new draft regarding common log formats for "the cloud"
>>
>> R.
>>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: internet-drafts at ietf.org
>>> Subject: I-D Action: draft-golovinsky-cloud-services-log-format-01.txt
>>> Date: December 20, 2011 12:18:37 PM PST
>>> To: i-d-announce at ietf.org
>>>

>>> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>>>
>>> 	Title           : Syslog Extension for Cloud Using Syslog Structured Data
>>> 	Author(s)       : Gene Golovinsky
>>>                          Sam Johnston
>>>                          Dominik Birk
>>> 	Filename        : draft-golovinsky-cloud-services-log-format-01.txt
>>> 	Pages           : 11
>>> 	Date            : 2011-12-20
>>>
>>>   This document provides an open and extensible log format to be used
>>>   by any cloud entity or cloud application to log and trace activities
>>>   that occur in the cloud.  It is equally applicable for cloud
>>>   infrastructure (IaaS), platform (PaaS), and application (SaaS)
>>>   services.  CloudLog is defferent in content, but not in nature from
>>>   the traditional logging as it takes in account transient nature of
>>>   identities and resources in the cloud.
>>>

>>> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-golovinsky-cloud-services-log-format-01.txt
>>>
>>> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>>> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>>>
>>> This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
>>> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-golovinsky-cloud-services-log-format-01.txt

>>> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.