IPP Charter - Overlap with IETF Fax?

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Nov 12 14:20:02 EST 1996

Ray Lutz has cross posted some of our IPP messages to the IETF Fax group to
invoke discussion about possible overlap between Printing and Fax in the IETF.

I asked the Fax group members to indicate to us where they thought the
overlap might be. Today the following reply from Dave Crocker, one of the
proposed co-chairs of IETF Fax and an Internet veteran, was posted. I
forward it for your information. I am not planning to start cross-posting
messages in general; if you want to get involved in the IETF Fax
discussions, please subscribe to that DL directly.

Carl-Uno

>Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:45:49 PST
>To: Carl-Uno Manros <cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com>
>From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker at brandenburg.com>
>Subject: Re: PWG IPP charter
>Cc: Raymond Lutz <raylutz at cognisys.com>, ietf-fax at imc.org
>
>At 5:02 PM -0800 11/11/96, Carl-Uno Manros wrote:
>>I am interested in finding out what you and others in the IETF Fax group
>>think are the potentially overlapping areas between the two projects.
>
>	my own opinion is that there is very substantial overlap... eventually.
>
>	but very little overlap now, especially for the fax wg's initial
>effort.
>
>	Content formats will probably have no overlap initially.
>
>	Transport/application protocol will have no overlap with fax store
>and forward.
>
>	Things will get a bit more interesting when the fax group starts to
>consider interactive or real-time exchange.  Even then, as Larry notes,
>there are likely to be important differences.
>
>d/
>
>--------------------
>Dave Crocker                                             +1 408 246 8253
>Brandenburg Consulting                              fax: +1 408 249 6205
>675 Spruce Dr.                                  dcrocker at brandenburg.com
>Sunnyvale CA 94086 USA                        http://www.brandenburg.com
>
>Internet Mail Consortium                http://www.imc.org, info at imc.org

Carl-Uno Manros