IPP> BOF Presentation Comments

Harry Lewis harryl at vnet.ibm.com
Wed Dec 4 10:44:07 EST 1996

I agree with Don -(my formal recommendation at bottom of this note).

>As far as I am aware, there is no rule that says presentation
>charts may not contain complete sentences, clauses, non-trivial
>parts of speech, etc.  I think defining something like Internet
>Printing in complete sentences is more precise than simply
>a list of bullets.  Maybe we need both?

in that I think leading off with a "paragraph" gives the presentation
a good ramp into the finer detail.

I did like some of Bob's additional points -

>>Internet Printing
>>   o uses World Wide Web tools, programs, servers and networks.
>>   o works for printers that are attached locally or via a network.
>>   o uses HTTP servers and browsers to provide print operations which include
>>      o browsing for printers
>>      o printing jobs
>>      o cancelling jobs
>>      o monitoring and managing jobs and printers
>>      o configuring printers

and don't see why they can't be a separate slide or worked into the
other slides.

I like the idea of leading off with the paragraph which Don wrote and
I modified (or some further modification thereof). I've taken another
run at it... below:

  * Internet Printing is the application of World Wide Web tools,
  * programs, servers and networks to provide a print environment
  * which is used and managed via the internet yet operates in a manner
  * familiar to those using today's platform dependent print subsystems.
  *
  * Internet Printing will include the use of HTTP servers and browsers to
  * provide static, dynamic and interactive print services location, printer
  * installation, selection and configuration as well as remote printer and
  * print job monitoring and control.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems