Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Dec 4 19:20:02 EST 1996

Apparently there are a lot of books on HTTP.  However, they have a lot of
detail and it has been reported that it is hard to find out about
HTTP servers and CGI scripts.

The IPP project has agreed as a goal that the IPP protocol can be implemented
in an HTTP server as a CGI script that interfaces with a printer or print
system using whatever protocol that printer or print system supports so that
no modifications have to be made to the HTTP server, except installing the
CGI script.

Presumably you need a separate CGI script for each such printer or print
system job submission protocol.

So where can we find out more about what CGI scripts are and what kinds
of things can be written in them?  Are there RFCs?  Library books?

We want to prototype the IPP protocol as we develop it.

Thanks,
Tom