Harry Lewis harryl at vnet.ibm.com
Wed Dec 18 13:34:56 EST 1996

As captured by Bill Wagner...

>     The objective of using a 'standard' driver for a new printer is often
>     voiced, but seldom realized  if the full capabilities of the printer
>     are to be accessible to the user. ....                             es

there seems to be consensus building that a "standard" IPP driver is
an unrealistic pursuit.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't think standard driver necessarily
means standard PDL. Most of what makes drivers unique are printer
features and capabilities like extra trays, higher capacity, paper
sizes etc. Exactly the kind of stuff we represent in the Printer MIB.

I know we haven't addressed finishing, color (to a great degree)
or fonts and resources... but why isn't it at least feasible that
the printer mib (and evolution thereof) support the notion of a
"standard" driver?

Isn't the driver in NT 4.0 rather "standard" as designed today, except
for the above mentioned?

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems