rdebry at us.ibm.com rdebry at us.ibm.com
Thu Dec 19 09:08:55 EST 1996

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue:

I'd like to see this proposal discussed at the PWG meeting in January -- it
would be nice if we could agree on this simplification for IPP/1.0.
---------------------- Forwarded by Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM on 12/19/96 07:07
AM ---------------------------

        ipp-owner @ pwg.org
        12/17/96 06:20 PM

To: kcarter @ vnet.ibm.com at internet, Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM
cc: ipp @ pwg.org at internet
Subject: Re: IPP> Job Templates (Retry) [I like getting rid of Job Te

Keith and Roger,

I agree with the idea of getting rid of job templates for IPP V1.0.

Let me paraphrase Keith's proposal that build on Roger's:

Each URL in the Print operation specifies a Printer object.
Each URL in the Get-Attributes operation specifies either a job object
or a Printer object (but no longer a Job Template object).

I also agree with the idea of allowing more than one Printer object to
represent a single output device.  When more than one Printer object
represents a single output device (or represents another Printer),
its called "fan-in".  With fan-in, Printer can have different policies
specified by different sets of xxx-supported attribute values and
max-xxx-supported attribute values.  The SA can set up an ACL for each
Printer that specifies which users can have access to which Printer
objects that fan-in to the same output device.  So the SA can establish
separate policies for different sets of users.  Some users can use the
expensive color option of the output device and others can only use the
black-and-white option.

I also like the idea of using the GetAttributes operation with a "special"
value of the requested-attributes input parameter of "job-submission" to
indicate that the requester wants all of the xxx-supported printer attributes,
but none of the other printer attributes, such as printer-name,
printer-location, etc., unless the requester also includes those attributes
in the requested-attributes input parameter to the GetAttributes operation.
Then an implementation can add additional xxx-supported attributes and the
requester automatically gets the new ones.  I'd suggest changing the name of
this "pseudo" attribute from "job-submission" to "job-submission-attributes".

Finally, I like the idea of using the first value returned of each
xxx-supported attribute to mean the default value.  Then the requester
can get the defaults and all supported values specified by the SA as the
policy for that Printer in one request as you point out.

   NOTE: we must then specify that the *order) of attribute values is
   significant in IPP.

(ISO DPA and other attribute standards specify that the order of attribute
values shall not be significant.  If we want to be compatible with not making
attribute values significant, we could just as another ":default" adornment in
our State syntax, so that ":default" would be tacked onto the end of the
default value.  We need to check with MIME syntax to see if we can use
the simpler idea that order matters so that we can specify that the first
value of an xxx-supported attribute is the default.  In addition to being
more compact, specifying that the first attribute is the default, means
that there cannot be the error condition of no ":default" or more than
one ":default" value returned.).

If the SA policy is that there is only one value, then that value is both
the default value and the only supported value.  If the Printer policy is
to support several values, then the first is the default and the remaining
are additional supported values.  Then the requester can determine the
defaults without IPP having to expose the Job Template.  (And implemetations
can implement defaults internally without having to have Job Templates,
if they don't want to, or they can have Job Templates internally, like ISO
DPA initial-value-job and initial-value-document objects).

Looks like a real good simplification for IPP V1.0!

Please check to see if my understanding of your proposal is the same as yours.

Thanks,
Tom