One thing first, has the minutes from the Albuquerque meeting been posted?
1) Driver download is not a mandatory operation in IPP. I see no need for a
driver download operation in IPP.
2) We have the printer make and model as printer attributes. If you
to live with reduced functionality an existing compatible
driver could be
used. This would leave the compatibility decision up to the client.
3) I see no need for a device ID. Does it provide information beyond make and
4) I am in favor of adding an attribute to the printer that will
indicate the URL for a
driver installer. An HTTP request can be directed to the URL
to retrieve the
appropriate driver installer. The complexity of the installer
can be left up to
the OS and printer venders. (e.g. INF file, self extracting
zip file, internet aware
script, ActiveX, Java)
4a) This should work with existing drivers and be forward looking
to IPP aware
4b) Driver/interpreters could be rolled out that can take advantage
of late binding
of printing instructions.
5) The HTTP request to retrieve the driver could be:
1) Outside the scope of IPP.
2) Specified by us to have specific parameters to
retrieve the appropriate driver.
3) Tied to WEBDAV.
6) Since MicroSoft/Hewlett Packard/Lexmark are addressing automatic
we can not ignore it.
I would like to see driver download addressed in the scenario diagrams.