Don Wright don at lexmark.com
Wed Jan 29 10:36:00 EST 1997

>OK, I think I finally figured out were our disconnect is. When you say
>"standard browser" you are talking about a UI paradigm while I assume
>you mean a standard HTTP client. Rememeber I proposed a while back
>that the TCP mapping could use a URL scheme of "ipp://..."? Well,
>there you go, you keep your UI paradigm, and I keep the transport
>mapping.

My major goal is that all setup, configuration, status query, etc. can be
done from a browser with the assistance of plug-ins, CGI code, HTTP
re-directors, etc.  When time comes to print from my application, the
browser is completely out of the picture (unless of course the browser
is the application.)

 As I said before, creating a new TCP stream starting with a blank
sheet of paper will take a standards group 2 years to finish. If the
group is constrained to use what already exists with perhaps minor
additions, the task stands a good chance of getting done much, much
sooner.  From my experience, never, never, never give a standards
body a blank sheet of paper.  It will be filled with doodles, not a standard
for years.

Don