David McMaster davidm at truespectra.com
Fri Feb 7 15:27:12 EST 1997

This is a forward of some scenario suggestions sent to Roger after the =
discussions at Adobe on Thursday. Please cc robk at truespectra.com on your =
comments. =

Thanks
David McMaster
davidm at truespectra.com
---------------------- Forwarded by David McMaster/TrueSpectra on 02/07/97 =
=
12:06 PM ---------------------------

David McMaster
02/07/97 02:18 AM
To: rdebry @ us.ibm.com @ internet
cc:  =
Subject: Possible scenarios that reflect discussion of 2/7/97

Hello Roger,

Here are a couple scenarios that may cover the situations that we talked ab=
out =
in today's meetings with regard to slim clients wanting to print with =
references to high resolution images not available on the client that was =
submitting the print job.

The ColorWave file referred to in the first Scenario is a document that =
contains proxies for the high resolution FlashPix images as well as vector =
art  and text elements. =

David McMaster
- - - - -- - -   -  - - - - - - - - - - - -   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -=
 - =
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - =

           7.0 Declared Internet Resources

Scenario #7.1

A photography buff using an Internet Appliance wants to print a high =
resolution graphic consisting of a collage of photographic images and vector=
 =
clipart at a service bureau on a dye sublimation printer.  His Internet =
Appliance does not have enough RAM to collage the images and clipart at a hi=
gh =
resolution, nor does he have a fast enough Internet uplink to transfer a =
300dpi 24bit color composite of 24MB (he is using a cable modem with slow =
uplink capability).  The individual photographic images were originally =
scanned into multi-resolution Flashpix format by his photo retailer and host=
ed =
on the retailers' web site.  =

The graphic composition was created on the Internet Appliance with a ColorW=
ave =
compatible application supporting low resolution image proxies pulled from =
Internet hosted Flashpix files.  =

The End User connects to a local print shop through the Web and submits =
compact ColorWave print job (approx 20K) with Declared Internet Resources =
specified (url's pointing to the original Flashpix images).  Server at local=
 =
print shop receives ColorWave job and then resolves and caches Declared =
Internet Resources before passing the print request to ColorWave Rip.  Rip i=
s =
then able to quickly render a high resolution graphic composition from cache=
d =
Resources. =

Note that the server knew only to cache Declared Internet Resources and nee=
ded =
no knowledge of their content or intended use.  If the server was unable to =
=
resolve any Declared Internet Resources, the print job would have been =
canceled (and an error returned to End User) and never forwarded to the Rip.=

Scenario #7.2

A large Quark Express document is submitted for printing with a list of =
Declared Internet Resources.  In this case, we are assuming that Postscript =
=
has been modified to use higher resolution bitmaps in place of proxies used =
by =
Quark and to recognize url identified fonts.  =

The server caches the Declared Internet Resources and then passes the job to a =
Postscript Rip.  =

Note that here, the size of the transmitted Quark file will only be a fract=
ion =
of what it would have been had it included the high resolution image files a=
nd =
all the fonts necessary for print -- thus the overall transfer time is =
significantly reduced.  Further, the spool space on the server is reduced as=
 =
Declared Internet Resources would only be cached prior to printing -- not =
sitting in the queue from the initial time of submission until queue purge.