Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Feb 12 12:33:27 EST 1997

At 08:06 PM 2/11/97 PST, Larry Masinter wrote:
>The most important NEW security issues (where you don't just
>have to pick which thing to do) are: how to accomplish
>third-party credentials when doing print-by-reference, and
>secondly, how to establish credentials for job control
>after job submission even when there isn't authentication.
>
>I didn't see those in your security list, but maybe I missed
>them.

Larry,

in answer to your first concern, we did discuss that briefly, but
decided that the retrieval of the file is not part of the actual
Internet Printing Protocol, it is determined by the URL of
the reference. We therefore left that out of the initial discussion,
but even so, it would be nice to find a solution to the problem in
general. Do you have any proposal on where we might find one?

I am not quite sure I understand quite what you mean with your second
comment. Users typically only have access to their own jobs, and they
will be given a job-id from the "printer" for each job they submit.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com