Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Fri Feb 28 15:06:47 EST 1997

I wouldn't go any further with standardizing driver installation
than the following paragraph:

"The directory entry for printers will contain one or more URLs
that contain locations for drivers for one or more different
platforms or operating environments".

What protocol you use to obtain the driver will depend upon the
URL "protocol" field (HTTP:, FTP:, etc.). The URL should provide
enough context information for an unambiguous retrieval of the
driver. To talk about "Well, you issue an HTTP GET request..."
I think goes into more detail than we need to specify in order
to obtain an IPP driver for a particular device.

Randy

--
Randy Turner
Network Architect