JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Sun Mar 9 12:28:02 EST 1997

Patrick,

With all due respect, I must ask you to qualify some of your statements.
Sorry, but you appear to be literally sweeping *everything* under the rug
with some of these statements:

> 1. LPD has no authentication.  That solves it in one direction.
>
> 2. Since you don't have authentication,  you need an 'anonymous' user to
>    map LPD stuff into.  That solves the other.

Actually, LPD has a *bit* of authentication, at least in several
implementations, whereby the client port must be within the range
of privileged ports.

However, the real issue is:  just because LPD has serious holes in its
security model, should this be necessarily propagated to IPP?

My apologies in advance if I am being dense here and not understanding
what you mean, exactly.  Can you provide us with a bit more insight here?

	...jay