Don Wright don at lexmark.com
Mon Mar 10 18:01:49 EST 1997

Tom:

I have a real problem with this because 99.99% of the printing
done today does not provide this kind a functionality.  Late
binding is a concept that exists in none of the major operating
systems and only in certain packages like Dazel.  Additionally,
while the protocol may support this type of function, it is not
in our area to tell application writers what functions are to be
exposed to the user.  We can define a model and a protocol
mapping that is neutral as to the source of the job but beyond
that it is really up to the implementors of the user interface,
the print server and the printer as to whether the things you
ask for are implemented or every possible.

I really think this is more "fat" being added to IPP.  As we
discussed briefly on last week's conference call, this is all
becoming way to heavy.  We really need to start thinking about
a real minimal implementation requirement with functionality
like the Microsoft proposal with (I hate to say this so you IPDS
guys cover your ears) "towers" of functionality that can be
negotiated between the submitter and the server.  We have got
to cut this down to what is really necessary and focus on getting
that done and implemented ASAP!!!

Don