Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Mon Mar 17 17:01:50 EST 1997

> I am not sure if you understood my proposal.  I did not suggest
> that the printer had to do reformatting to the new media, but
> that you reduce each page image slightly to make it fit on the
> other media. A number of applications are able to do this today;
> would it be impossible to have the printer do the same?

I don't want a printer to pretend to support A4 paper if it doesn't
have and support that medium, but if there were a standard way to say
"I don't have A4 paper but if someone tries to print an A4 size page I
will shrink it to US letter size" (perhaps with a well-defined way to
do the shrinking) that would be a major win.  Similarly for printing
USletter images on A4 media.

Ideally this would happen automatically, without ever causing problems
by having something shrink unexpectedly :)

Keith