Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Mon May 5 15:34:17 EDT 1997

     Although I agree that I see what appear to be contradictory comments
     about the base system (high end printer vs printer preceded by server
     vs hardware not able to implement), and I see some unlikely statements
     ($150 printers are still rated as personal printers, not workgroup
     printers), Jay's base premise frightens me.

     The notion that IPP is  *just* for internet printing (as distinguished
     from intranet or intra-enterprise printing) is a very frightening one.
     Granted that internet printing has a certain pizzas right now, I would
     still expect 90% of the printing will be within a company. I strongly
     question whether there is any rational in developing a protocol just
     for internet printing. Indeed, since one of the intentions is to
     provide a substantial improvement over LPR, I would certainly expect
     that intra-enterprise printing is the major target.

     Similarly, the notion that the IPP must avoid  the complexities and
     inconveniences of addressing the desktop printer seem again to
     missing the major part of the market.

     Perhaps it would be appropriate to reaffirm the objectives of the IPP
     project?

     Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI