Scott Isaacson SISAACSON at novell.com
Tue May 6 17:03:20 EDT 1997

Babak writes:

>>> Babak Jahromi <babakj at MICROSOFT.com> 05/05 10:06 PM >>>
> I agree. I just don't see how network printing without print servers
> could scale.

100% correct - it will not scale!   However, on the other hand, in a work
group environment with a very small number of users and a very small number
of users, why FORCE a server based solution (at extra hardware and technical
expertise cost) to the small work group (unless of course that means more
IntranetWare or NT servers which are part of our business right? ;-)  ...)

Not all printers will be full blown printer servers, but SOME are and will
be.   I believe the IPP model right now allows for an embedded solution but
does not force one nor does it preclude it.   Some desktop printers will
never be shared .. they will not have NICs, how can they ever embedd IPP.
Some middle of the line work group printers which are only shared printers
may have embedded IPP solutions.

My 2cents.

Scott