JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Fri May 9 23:43:55 EDT 1997

Restarting jobs due to failed transmissions can get to be a real rats
nest.  Just so everyone knows that...  ;-)

Restarting after failure can be easy or hard, depending on your criteria.
I hope we don't go hog-wild here, either.

Exactly where the client and server "intelligently" resume where they
left off depends on a few factors.  The first that pops into mind is
whether the documents sent (successfully) before the failure have already
been printed or not (and which of those documents have been printed, etc).

We have seen several cases in which the customer preferred to print the
document set in a contiguous manner on the printer.  That is, even though
some of the documents were printed prior to the failure, the customer
would rather print all over from the beginning.  (This is actually the
standard BSD UNIX method of handling restarts, by the way.)

Some reasonable things can be done in the area of recovery, but I'd just
like to warn folks that it is often not as easy as it looks.

Feature-rich, configurable checkpointing/recovery could very well be
something we defer to a future release of IPP.

Just my pennies worth.

	...jay