IPP>MOD - Multiple documents per job

Roger K Debry rdebry at us.ibm.com
Mon May 12 17:49:04 EDT 1997

Bob, here is an alternative that I think my systems
could easily handle:

If the client wants confirmation that the job will be accepted
before it sends any document content. then it must include
all of the attributes it wants validated up front in create job.
If it doesn't care, then it does not have to.

Document attributes in the create job are not in any specific
order and are viewed just as a collection of attributes, i.e.
they are not in document order nor are they to be associated
with particular documents in some fashion. The request just
says, here is a bunch of attributes, can the Printer support
them?

For example, if I had a job with the following documents --
a Postscript document,  a PCL document, a PCL document,
a text document, a PCL document, and a Postscript
document, the attributes in create job would be

not

Attributes would be repeated  in subsequent send document
operations  as part of the document they belong to. This
allows the server to validate the attributes,  but not have to
save the values and associate them with the
documents which may come later in the stream.  Clients which
don't care about up front validation don't have to declare
document attributes in create job, they would be part of each
document just as in the validation case.

This would make the server side much simpler. It does not
add any complexity to the client, and only increases the
over-all size of the data transmitted sightly larger.

Comments??

Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology