Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Wed May 28 14:42:39 EDT 1997

     It might help if someone indicated what it meant for a state enum to
     be mandatory or conditionally mandatory.

     Does mandatory mean that:

        1. each job must go though that state and be reported?
        2. if the job goes through the state, it must be reported?

     Does conditionally mandatory mean that:

        2. if the job goes through the state, it must be reported?
        3. the unit report it if it is able to?

     I maintain that (1) is unreasonable, since as pointed out, depending
     upon the implementation, the state may be highly transitory and may
     not persist long enough to be observed.

     (2) is reasonable, how ever you wish to define it. I believe it is
     what Ron suggested.

     (3) means nothing in terms of consistency, and is useless.

     Bill Wagner  Osicom/DPI