IPP> MOD - document format question

Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri May 30 12:41:05 EDT 1997

Scott,

I think we need a real complete example, before we can give good feedback.

I suggest two examples: one with keyword values and one with integer values.

I would hope that we could still have our nice proportional spaced font
form, and let the IETF suffer with its fixed space format.  I've found
the solutions to making fixed space from variable spaced in WORD and will
be glad to help you.

The only concession to the plain text form, should be the typographic
convention that attribute name keywords are in double quotes (") and attribute
value keywords are in single quotes (') as the document has mostly now.

Also tables are good to avoid because they can't have line numbers in
WORD.  Also tables create more wasted space, making our document longer.
And tables break across page boundaries, making the document harder to read.
Finally changing from proportionally space to fixed to publish is harder
with tables.

I like Jay's lean mean approach to just list the forms, one per line
and then have one description.  Don't use too many features of MS-WORD
(except table of contents now, an index later, and maybe cross references
later).

The defaults, supported, and available should not need specific description.
We should be able to specify once up front what defaults, supported, and
available means and not have any description for them.  Like the first
draft.

Thanks,
Tom