JMP> Re: IPP> MOD JobState suggestion

JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Wed Jun 4 14:13:30 EDT 1997

[I hope this cross-posting ends soon... :-{ ]

Tom,

Regarding your latest-greatest state transition map:

> The following figure shows the normal job state transitions:
>
>                                                 +--> canceled(7)
>                                                /
>     +---> pending(3) -------> processing(5) --+----> aborted(8)
>     |        ^                    ^            \
> --->+        |                    |             +--> completed(9)
>     |        v                    v
>     +---> held(4)        processing-stopped(6)
>
>           <-------------- active ------------>|<-- in-active -->|
>
>           Figure 3 - Normal job state transitions
>
> Normally a job progresses only from left to right.  Other state transitions
> are unlikely, but are not forbidden."

Are you really sure this diagram is accurate?

Say, for example, a job is in the "held" state.  An operator or user then
cancels the job.  According to your diagram, the job transits would then
manner:

        held -> pending
     pending -> processing
  processing -> canceled

The same kind of mess occurs with the "processing-stopped" state, etc.

This certainly must not be what you intend, right?

	...jay