IPP> printer-resolution standard values retrograded

IPP> printer-resolution standard values retrograded

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Jun 5 18:09:12 EDT 1997

We consciously avoided having both a x and y printer resolution
attributes.  We didn't want a client or server to deal with all the
impossible combinations of x and y. We believed that the number of
combinations was sufficiently small that it was better to enumerate
them. The supported values is then an accurate list, unlike the x-and-y
solution where some combinations may be unsupported.  Furthermore, a
particular printer is unlikely to support more than a very few.

How many do you think there are with current technology? 25? 50?
What is the largest number any printer supports? 2? 3?

I still think we make the correct choice.

Bob Herriot