IPP> PRO - A value-type field for the Protocol Spec proposal

IPP> PRO - A value-type field for the Protocol Spec proposal

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Jun 5 18:43:36 EDT 1997

> From szilles at Adobe.COM Wed Jun  4 19:31:54 1997
>
> It is proposed that there be a registry of value types. The first two
> entries in that registry would be (zero is reserved)
>
> 1: Unicode string in UTF8 encoding (as specified in the draft)
> 2: list of values (here the length of the value field determines how
>    many values are present. The length, however, is not the number of
>    value, but the number of bytes consumed by the values.

Do you think that we should specify the encoding of a list of values?
For example, it could be zero or more nested values, that is:

    value-type value-length value

Also, are you  suggesting that we define some other types, such as integer
or date, even if these are represented as a Unicode string in UTF-8.

Bob Herriot