IPP>MOD - Print by reference

Roger K Debry rdebry at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 12 08:14:09 EDT 1997

Harry Lewis Wrote ...

The point is, those who feel more comfortable with IPP as a "web based
submission protocol", by my observation, relate strongly with the intrinsic,
integrated print frameworks provided by Windows, OS/2 and similar operating
systems. In these environments, an end-to-end, all encompassing print protocol
is unnecessary because there is a query and status API (if you will) to
facilitate communication with the printer via some means other than the
submission protocol.

I think the desire for IPP to be all encompassing - query, submit, monitor,
control - stems from platforms which do not supply a "robust" print framework
as part of the native OS, today. Here, a robust replacement for LPR/LPD would,
appropriately,  include everything.

<RKD>  I don't think this is necessarily the case.  I believe there are some
(at least one) who believe that
<RKD> a single protocol is just simpler and more elegant that a set of
different, but related intefaces.