IPP> PRO - Comment on latest encoding proposal

IPP> PRO - Comment on latest encoding proposal

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Jul 10 17:02:13 EDT 1997

Perhaps you overlooked the following paragraph in the description I emailed out yesterday.

 The parameter-tag and parameter-sequence may be omitted if the operation
 has no parameters. The attribute-tag and attribute-sequence may be
 omitted if the operation has no attributes or it may be replicated for
 an operation that contains attributes for multiple objects. The data-tag
 is present even when the data is omitted.

I believe that the mandatory data-tag makes it easier to decode because
with the mandatory tag, there is only a check of the tag in each cycle.
Without a mandatory data-tag, there would have to be a check  for both
some end-of data index and the contents of the next tag.

Bob Herriot