IPP>MOD - Globally unique IDs

Ira Mcdonald x10962 imcdonal at eso.mc.xerox.com
Mon Jul 14 10:56:11 EDT 1997

Hi Roger,

Good catch!  The IETF Job Mon MIB has some attempts at 'reasonably
unique' client job submission ID formats (which can also be supplied
in any of the defined formats by a helpful agent who notices that
no client job id was submitted with the job).

Xerox has over three years experience with some additional 'really
unique' client job submission ID formats in our private Job Mon MIB
work (we needed them for active job management - when you toss missiles
it's nice to hit the right job...)

Nearly every protocol at an application layer says things about
'global unique IDs', but not many define how to generate them
(including issues of character sets - IPP w/ UTF-8 may not have
that problem).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  PO Box 221
  Grand Marais, MI  49839
  906-494-2434
  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend...
      Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx