IPP> MOD - New enum data type and attributes text

IPP> MOD - New enum data type and attributes text

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Mon Jul 14 16:56:58 EDT 1997

For the most part, I think that it is good that we have changed
some keywords to enums so that we line up with other standards.

I have a few observations.

It is a bit strange that IPP aligns for job-state, but not for
job-state-reason, printer-state or printer-state-reasons. It would
seem better if printer-state and job-state had the same type, either
both enums or both keywords.

I am also concerned about printer-resolution. I don't see the advantage
of abitrary keywords over a value that gives the resolution explictly,
either the keyword string we had or a pair integers with units.  Both
of these solutions allow a client and server to understand the values
without some middleman registry.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob Herriot